Thursday, 30 April 2015

Pickwick locks in progress...

Back to last fall...
One upon a time there was some raw and dusty locks.

I did washed them.

Then I got really busy and couldn't work them for awhile.
I have decided to dye the locks turquoise.
They are so pretty...but life got in the way again, the weather was so gray I couldn't take a decent picture either.

Now here are the pretty locks sunbathing ;)

And a super carded batt.....
Ain't this lovely to see fluffy wool ready to spin?

Tuesday, 28 April 2015


I have this superwash merino discards blobs from a mill, It was unloved.
I used the carder and made bats trying to save this fiber.
The spinning wheel been singing.
The fibers were really short and it is imperfect, still it is 100% wool.

I have decided to make it Navajo 3 plies as it is superwash to avoid pilling.
Of course I did over spin it a bit too so it could be use as warp or knitting/crochet.
Not bad for a rescue and unloved fiber. 
I still have another skein to ply and finish set twist/wash.

Friday, 17 April 2015

Knitted Washcloth

I have knitted two washcloth to match the woven towels.
They have a small loop to hang them to dry.
It's like knitting socks without the heels it's fast and easy and no sewing.
Knitted bottom up on a circular needle using the magic loop technique and Judy's magic cast-on.

Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Weaving the waffles...

This was an experiment using a waffle draft and Bernat Handicrafter cotton medium 4 at
epi 6
It does work great and I did get tons of dust bunnies under the loom ...

Once off loom and washed it really fluffed

On this one I have only done half waffle.

I like both resulting bath towels.

Nothing like  handmade over size thirsty bath towels...

Thursday, 2 April 2015

Spring refused to sprung

I was in need of a blanket with the cold weather sticking around.
There was some *bouclĂ© yarn, mill ends from Made in America Yarns:   there is still some but no more natural. I was lucky as this yarn was natural not even scoured, I could smell the sheep, of course there was some waste as 2 of 5 skeins were having knots and a lot of defects.  I scoured it, then dressed the loom and weaved away a double width blanket, as my loom can weave up to 32" I made this 64" but of course there is shrinkage when wet finishing.

I like how it turns out... so soft and squishy.

It is 52" wide and 108" long after washing/fulling.... so it could be used as a regular blanket or a large throw, never ending up with cold toes anymore.
Happy dance.